Lessons to learn after BrexitHello my dear readers,

Yesterday the UK decided to leave the European Union and it won’t be an exaggeration to say that the world was shaken by that decision. The pound hit its lowest since 1985, David Cameron resigned as Prime Minister and social media exploded with a large spectrum of emotions, going from angry plethora to ode of joy. That’s quite ironic as the Ode of Joy by Beethoven is also the anthem of Europe and the European Union. I generally like to keep the tone of the blog as lighthearted and easy-going as possible, but as an EU citizen, living in the UK for more than 6 years, I have to say that I am shocked and devastated by the outcome of the referendum. In a world of massive globalization, where borders aim to disappear for the sake of cultural and intellectual exchange, Brexit is a step backwards.

I don’t want to comment on the multiple political and economic effects that Brexit will cause in the future, but I want to share 5 life lessons I bitterly learned since yesterday.

  1. Ignorance is the biggest disease of society. Since the reality hit yesterday morning, Google reported that searches for What will actually happen if we leave the EU? have tripled. I watched an interview with a voter, who says that if they can go back, they would vote Remain. My point here being, if you are giving your vote for an event that affects a country, you should really do your research in advance and make sure that you are as adequate and educated before putting that final cross mark on the ballot paper. You cannot cry over spilled milk, if you have kicked the jug yourself.
  2. A desire not spoken will never come true. If you have a position, make sure it’s known, because no one will do it for you. If you decide to stay quietly in the corner, don’t cry when others have made a choice for you. This point is dictated by the fact that 72% of people voted in the referendum. What about the remaining 28%? I guess we’ll always wonder what would’ve happened if they voted too.
  3. Aggression gives results. And they are usually bad ones. MP Jo Cox lost her life due to radical beliefs. There is lost sanity to be factored in the horrible circumstances surrounding the case but the murder suspect’s illusions were probably triggered further by the aggressive propaganda during the Leave campaign. People got scared into voting Leave by exaggerated statements that are not further supported in any way. Just hours after the results came out Nigel Farage disowned his promise to spend £350 million on the NHS after Brexit. So really, grand aggressive promises mean nothing. Think about it when you hear a grandeur sugarcoated statement.
  4. Learn to listen, not just to hear. It is an essential skill for both personal and professional success. Active listening requires conscious processing of information, with cognitive processes happening in your mind. You should make the effort to understand what you hear and participate in the discussion. Refer back to my first point and the Google statistics for evidence.
  5. People are indeed most unified in times of great sorrow. My Facebook feed yesterday morning literally exploded with comments and statements on the topic. You can see people actively participating in the discussion, sharing their grief and frustration. My Twitter feed was full of the most hilarious GIFs I’ve seen in a while, and well, as sad as it is it’s incredible to see how funny and creative people can be in times of great sorrow. It’s just sad that such acts only happen after the lightning strikes.

That was all from me today. Brexit is quite a serious and painful topic but I felt the need to express my position. I am really interested to hear your opinions on the matter. This is a topic that’s worthy of taking the time to engage in discussions. Remember, you are the master of your own reality after all.

Have a great weekend everyone 🙂 I am off to hosting a lunch that I will be sharing with you shortly!

Love,

Antoniya xx

aboyanova